Cat Herding

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Feral Cats FAQ - from the ASPCA

I love cats - big cats like the cougar of the southwestern U. S., the tiger of India, the African lion; I love the wild smaller varieties -- the cerval, ocelot, margay; I am most appreciative of the smaller varieties that share the beauty of the big cats, but not their appetite. Most of my cats have been strays that may have been lost from someone's home, evicted and abandoned, or possibly born outside. The outdoor cats that I'm presently feeding were born outside and are not tame, but they are used to me (as they were used to my brother when he started feeding them), and allow me to enjoy their beauty and personality close up -- just not TOO close.

"...The number of feral cats in the U.S. is estimated to be in the tens of millions. Sadly, many communities still opt to control populations via outdated methods, including lethal elimination or relocation. Not only are some of these methods horribly cruel, they are also highly ineffective. It’s time to focus on feral cats in the fight to end animal cruelty...." -- from the ASPCA


Feral Cats FAQ from the ASPCA

No comments:

Post a Comment